Sunday, July 13, 2014

No Sew Halter Top from Tshirt

 No Sew Halter Top! Upcycle that Old Tshirt!




Let's face it!!! Clothing can be expensive and not all clothing is even flattering or comfortable.  I am a woman of the fluffy persuasion. :)  So I tend to just opt for an oversize Tshirt and call it quits.

So in my quest to come up with some alternative answers I decided to change up my old tshirts for a cuter version. Just because I am fluffy does not mean that I cannot be cute.  I also have recently overcome my hatred of showing my arms.  Maybe because I am over 40 and really just do not care what people think anymore.  Regardless, I think that you will love this no sew version.

I recently saw a version of this tuturial but some sewing was required.  I wanted to do a completely NO SEW version and I think this is even cuter than the one I saw. Please let me know if you loved making it and leave any comments or suggestions.

Supplies Needed:  Old Tshirt, Sharp Scissors, Ruler, Pen, and a smile (Hopefully).

1. Start with your basic Tshirt.

2. Cut off sleeves and top portion of the shirt as shown.

3. Turn the top portion over that you just cut off.  Cut where the dotted lines show in the picture in order to form the drawstrings that you will use for the halter.

4. Once you have cut out your drawstrings. Pull on them tightly to form longer and thinner bands. 
(this is the beauty of knit. It is non fray and it allows you to stretch it without coming apart)

5. At the top of the tshirt area that you have left after cutting off all sections, Come in 1/2 inch from top and side and mark your starting point.


6. Continue to mark 1/2 inch marks all across the top of the shirt. (These will be the marks for you to cut your holes to bring the drawstring through.)  Once you have completed the front repeat step 5 and 6 for the back of the shirt.  After you have marked the holes you may now go through with your scissors and cut each hole being careful not to cut to far up the shirt. Remember the hole will stretch and you only need a small opening to get your drawstring through.

7.  Once you have your holes cut, you may now start to weave the drawstring through the openings.  The drawstring will go through the hole easily with just a little help from the end of your scissors or pushing it with your finger tip.

8.  Adjust the gathering the way that you would like it to be. I found that it was easiest if you put it on and adjusted it on your body. Everyone has a different comfort level and what works best for them.

9. Here is where you can play around a little.  You can either tie the drawstrings in a double knot and cut or you may also tie them in a bow. That is completely up to you. I really like the bow. I thought it added a cuteness factor. My daughters loved it to and I plan to make one for my granddaughter as well. :)

10. Wear and Enjoy!  Who says you cannot look cute in hot weather?!  Upcycle your favorite Tshirt now and give it new life!!!!

Please follow me on facebook for more tutorials.
https://www.facebook.com/mommacrowgraphics

www.mommacrow.com



No comments:

Post a Comment